First-Year Programs Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievement
First-Year Programs: Transition. Community. Connection.
Explore what it really means to become a Cougar. Regardless of major, there are some keys every first-year student needs to embark on a successful and fulfilling educational journey at Washington State and beyond. WSU’s caring experts and specialized programs help you find those keys and thrive in college.
Do Well in Your Courses
You’re a college student now. Have an academic lifestyle.
- Always go to class
- Participate in the Common Reading program
- Visit your instructor’s office hoursWhat are “office hours?”|This is regular time that course instructors set aside to meet with students. Instructors do this because they want their students to understand assignments, know what to expect on exams, and get one-on-one help when they’re are struggling.
- Get a tutor: check ASCCAcademic Success and Career Center; provides free tutoring., your residence hall, and the Math Learning Center
Make Close Friends
Be a Cougar Leader.
- Get involved in your residence hall
- Join a student club or Registered Student Organization
- Start a study group
Stay Happy and Healthy
Maintain your well-being.
- Take a PEACT coursePhysical Education Activity Courses|Learn more about PEACT courses in the WSU course catolog
- Participate in intramural sports
- Explore fitness possibilities at the Student Rec Center, Outdoor Rec Center, and the Down Under Rec Center
- Check out workshops from Health and Wellness on Time Management, Stress and Emotional Health, or Finances
Discover Your Own Path
Set your own direction.
- Visit with your advisor
- Drop by the Career Center at ASCC
- Work with peer consultants at the Writing Center or Math Learning Center
- Consider studying abroad
- Explore undergraduate research and distinguished scholarships
Message From First-Year Programs
“Welcome to your first year at Washington State University! We know that this year will be an exciting one for you, full of new challenges but also new opportunities to explore and develop the person you want to be. We want you to know that there are many programs across campus ready to help you make this transition successful—in the classroom and beyond. Our hope for you is that this year offers many avenues for embracing academic life, creating community, supporting your well-being, and finding a direction that speaks to your own passions. This web page is a starting point for you to explore many of these opportunities.
“We are so glad you have joined the Cougar family!”
—First-Year Programs at Washington State University